Mrs Montse Benitez opened our new St Bridget’s Centre on 26th May 2012 at a ceremony hosted by the Rev John Bleazard, Rector, and involving the Mayor and Mayoress of Wirral, the Right Rev Keith Sinclair, Bishop of Birkenhead, Esther McVey M.P., Martin Harrison, Project Leader, and attended by representatives of Church and local community.
Our new centre represents the product of 10 years of planning, 6 years of fundraising and 9 months of construction work. It replaces our old facilities dating back to 1847 and extended in 1969.
We welcome you to our thriving, new modern, accessible and sustainable centre (situated next to St Bridget’s Church and St Bridget’s Primary School in the Old Village of West Kirby) and hope you will use our new, attractive and popular facilities
The St Bridget’s Centre is operated by the St Bridget’s Centre Management Committee which is responsible to the Parochial Church Council, St Bridget’s, West Kirby with Caldy.
Chair and Volunteer Manager – Martin Harrison
Parish Administrator and Bookings Secretary – Paula Cobby
Caretaker – Andrea Sawiak
- Sue Frears (Secretary)
- David Penfold (Treasurer)
- Andrew Gibb, Edward Edwards
- Elizabeth Ashley
- Rev John Bleazard
- Peter Walker
The Rebuilding Project
The Project Team comprised:-
- Martin Harrison, Project Leader
- Alisdair MacDonald, Chartered Architect
- Dave Jones, SWF Ltd, Structural Engineers, Heswall
- Roger Hennell of Stephen Blease Associates Ltd, Quantity Surveyor
- Ian Adams, Salus, CDM Coordinator and Building Regulations, Birkenhead
- The contractors for the redevelopment were Nobles Construction Ltd, 11 Iliad Street, Liverpool, L5 3LU represented by Bob Kendrick, Site Manager
We would like to thank everybody who us helped us raise funds for the rebuilding of our centre – by making donations and loans, sponsoring us, attending events, supporting us at fairs and sales, helping at events and performing or speaking at musical events and lectures.
We also offer thanks to the trusts and grant agencies that have supported us:-
- Anne, Duchess of Westminster Charitable Trust
- Albert E Proctor Charitable Trust
- Josephine, Countess of Sefton Trust
- Lord Leverhulme’s Charitable Trust
- Unilever U-Fundraise
- Wirral Council Community Initiative Fund
- Coutts Charitable Trust
- Coutts and Co
- Garfield Weston Foundation
- Claude Ballard Southall Memorial Charity